Hinchcliff House

One of Sydney’s last remaining wool stores, conserved and adapted as a multi-level hospitality venue in the city’s heritage heartland. The giant skeleton of Hinchcliff House is brilliantly reborn as a pivotal place within the Quay Quarter Lanes precinct at Circular Quay, Sydney, alongside works from SJB, Studio Bright, Silvester Fuller, Lippmann Partnership, and ASPECT Studios.

Its original sandstone, brick and mighty hardwood trusses are revived and expressed as the backdrop to a glamorous new dining destination.


Client AMP Capital
Location Sydney, NSW - Traditional Custodians: Gadi Peoples
Size (m2) 1000
Commission 2014
Completion 2021

Our Team

Shaun Carter
Nuala Collins
Stephanie Chiu
Vivienne Hinschen
Ben Peake
Thu Zaw
Tai Danh Lien


Heritage Consultant Urbis Heritage
Interior Designers Mitchell & Eades
Construction Richard Crookes Construction
Photography Phil Noller
Photography Rory Gardiner
Photography Jiwon Kim


National Architecture Awards, Walter Burley Griffin Award for Urban Design (as part of Quay Quarter Lanes) Winner
NSW Architecture Awards, Urban Design (as part of Quay Quarter Lanes) Winner
NSW Architecture Awards, The Lord Mayor's Prize (as part of Quay Quarter Lanes) Winner
NSW Architecture Awards, Interiors (w/ Mitchell & Eades) Shortlist
NSW Architecture Awards, Heritage Shortlist
INDE. Awards, The Social Space Shortlist
National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards, Conservation - Built Heritage Shortlist

The jewel of a new Sydney heritage precinct, this rare colonial wool store is reborn and ready for another century of service.

After 150 years, the two largely intact wool stores - built for colonial merchant Andrew Hinchcliff – are transformed, their material structures restored in collaboration with Urbis Heritage. Hand-cut sandstone and brick walls, timber beams, and bearers are all revived, with incisions for extra light and new insertions crafted in fine black steel.

A freestanding steel staircase and elevator connect all three dining levels and a new underground bar that has been carved into the sandstone basement. The exterior restoration of the sandstone walls included the reinstatement of its original crowning glory – a giant golden ram atop the northern parapet.

Built in stages from 1860 to 1881, the giant wool stores were emblematic of a wool baron’s burgeoning empire.

Related Projects